SCP-1577
rating: +328+x

Item #: SCP-1577

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-1577-1 is to be kept in a standard containment locker, unloaded, when not in use for testing. Access is permitted only to Foundation personnel specifically assigned to this item. Personnel are required to log all testing of SCP-1577-1, in addition to all materials recovered during testing. In the event that more instances of SCP-1577-1 are discovered, they are to be contained in separate lockers.

Description: SCP-1577 refers to two objects, designated SCP-1577-1 and SCP-1577-2. SCP-1577-1 is a flare gun, identical in model to the one utilized by the United Kingdom Royal Air Force since shortly before World War II. The object shows minor wear and damage consistent with its apparent age. However, the serial number has been completely worn away, and analysis suggests this was a deliberate effort. The object functions as would be expected, and is capable of firing any flares of appropriate size (25 mm.) SCP-1577-1's properties become apparent when fired: any flare fired from SCP-1577-1 burns much hotter, brighter, and longer than would be expected. SCP-1577-1 is also capable of reliably firing in all circumstances, regardless of the condition of the loaded flare.

Exactly one hour after a flare is fired from SCP-1577-1, a model 685 Avro York transport aircraft, SCP-1577-2, appears sixty kilometers east of the point from where the flare was fired, traveling towards that location with a velocity of 650 km/h, at an altitude of 8,250 meters. This velocity is approximately 200 km/h higher than the known maximum velocity of historical models of this aircraft, and the altitude is approximately 1000 meters above the known maximum operational altitude.

There are no immediately apparent spatial anomalies at either point where SCP-1577-2 appears or disappears. However, instruments placed close to expected entry and departure points have shown that the ambient temperature in the immediate area drops by two to three degrees Celsius when SCP-1577-2 reaches them. On materialization, SCP-1577-2 appears to be almost entirely covered in frost, including the engines. This icing does not appear to affect performance of the aircraft at all, and three minutes after SCP-1577-2's arrival, most has melted or fallen away. Analysis of the water that forms this ice reveals no unusual properties.

SCP-1577-2 travels over the location from which SCP-1577-1 was fired, and performs an airdrop consisting of one supply crate equipped with a parachute. After performing the airdrop, SCP-1577-2 continues west before vanishing sixty kilometers from the flare point. Given its speed, SCP-1577-2 is only detectable for approximately ten minutes.

The crate dropped by SCP-1577-2 measures 1m x 1m x 1m, and is composed primarily of wood, with several iron nails holding the crate together. Analysis of the crate and its parachute have revealed no anomalous properties. The surface of the crate contains stamping indicating what the crate contains, and in what amount. The supply crate is rarely filled to capacity. Supplies differ with every instance, but take the form of objects apparently intended for military use. Invariably, the contents of the crate display unexpected properties that inhibit their utility, or are outright dangerous. See testing log for further details.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License