INCIDENT-370-A
rating: +330+x

Personal Log of: Dr. █████
Date: [DATA ABSENT] 2009

Richard’s team came back yesterday. What was left of it, anyway. Most of them were wiped out by some sort of memetic infection. They’ve also brought back an artifact, a key or something, from the dig. There’s something wrong with Richard. He ought to be inconsolable, having lost so many agents, but he just keeps smiling.

Meanwhile, work on SCP-███ has ground to a depressing halt. The next battery of tests will involve [IRRELEVANT DATA EXPUNGED]

Personal Log of: Dr. █████
Date: [DATA ABSENT] 2009

Ha! I was right. I knew there was something abnormal about those smiles.

They brought the artifact out today. Half the people who saw the damn thing just started attacking everyone in sight and had to be put down. The survivors have been quarantined. The bodies of the dead have been incinerated and the survivors are still in quarantine. The artifact recovered has been designated SCP-370. I hate observational memetic hazards, by the way. How am I supposed to study something if I can’t █████ look at it?

Personal Log of: Dr. █████
Date: [DATA ABSENT] 2009

███. It’s not observational, it's worse. Probably the worst meme we’ve ever encountered. Reading the notes on the thing seems to have exactly the same effect as looking at it — it’s pure luck I didn’t get infected myself. Word of mouth information transfer does the same thing. We’ve got a full third of our research staff in quarantine now. (Or at least we should. Some of them have just disappeared.)

I’m freaking out here. I did a compassion ritual yesterday, made me feel a little better. [DETAILS OF RITUAL EXPUNGED]. Seeing Richard in this state is really messing with my head. He’s not himself at all — he’s freakishly cheerful, borderline manic, and he’s tried to breach the quarantine three times already. Managed to cause several infections by shouting what I assume were details about SCP-370's appearance. ███, I don’t even know what information can spread this thing. I personally destroyed a bunch of documents without review earlier today, and had anyone who protested quarantined. Dr. C██████ says I’m being paranoid so I quarantined him too.

Personal Log of: Dr. █████
Date: [DATA ABSENT] 2009

Well. I’ve solved the mystery of the disappearing personnel. Some of the infected commit suicide, and when they do they vanish with this blinding flash. I caught maybe the very edge of the flash. I’m afraid I'm contaminated now — I can feel the key hovering around the edges of my mind. If I wanted to, I think I could see it in my head. Ugh.

I’ve started a write-up of the containment procedure, for if we ever contain the ███ thing. Helps me keep my mind off… well, it. There are three kinds of infections — the murdering kind, the suicidal kind, and the happy kind. Suicides and murderers don’t actively try to spread the infection, but deaths caused by 370 all seem to create this infectious light. The happy ones seem mentally unaffected, but their only desire is to spread this thing by any means necessary. They're clever, though. They'll pretend not to be affected. The only give away is the happiness. Even if you torture them, they show signs of pain but don't seem to care — it doesn’t make them unhappy.

On the bright side, I had a talk with Dr. C██████ via a Class-D go-between and he told me to go ███ myself, so I've let him go.

Personal Log of: Dr. █████
Date: [DATA ABSENT] 2009

We've lost our grip on this thing. Richard and team are still contained, but we have the smilers wandering free in the base. I've taken to carrying a handgun and just shooting anyone who looks happy. Considering how haggard and miserable most of our staff is, there’s not much chance of a false positive.

I've sabotaged all the communication systems. We will stop this thing here.

The infection in me feels like it's spreading. Starting to take a conscious effort not to think about… That. There is no God. I am God.

Personal Log of: Dr. █████
Date: [DATA ABSENT] 2009

There is no God.

Quarantine had been breached. I’m afraid Dr. C██████ and I may be the only uninfected personnel on site at this point. He’s only safe because he was in that quarantine cell for so long.

Knowledge is starting to slip. I know… things. [MEME EXPUNGED] not know what 370 looks like, but I know [MEME EXPUNGED].

There is no Gate. I worship only myself.

Personal Log of: Dr. █████
Date: [DATA ABSENT] 2009

Notes: From this point on the writing gets more and more shaky. Some parts appear illegible and large segments had to be removed due to memetic contamination.

Satan used to be just a symbol to me, a symbol of my own unrepressed desires. A symbol of freedom.

I’ve changed my mind. I pledged [MEME EXPUNGED]. I’ve performed another ritual, not in the book just one that came to me. I had to use Dr. C██████ [REDACTED] felt a bit bad about that at first, but it’s all for the Foundation.

I have a plan.

[MEME EXPUNGED] until all the infected have [MEME EXPUNGED] should provide an opening for me to make contact [MEME EXPUNGED]. If I can get the physical key encased within the molten lead from my experiment with SCP-███ then [MEME EXPUNGED] until the rest of the Foundation finds us.

I think I’ll stick it in a huge █████ steel box too. You know, just in case.

Personal Log of: Dr. █████
Date: [DATA ABSENT] 2009

Notes: This final entry is written in blood, and begins with an outline of a complex and gruesome ritual involving, among other things, the use of 80% of the invoker's blood. Intended purpose of this ritual is unknown, and our attempts to recreate it have all failed with the subjects falling dead from blood loss before completing the procedure.

[DETAILS OF RITUAL EXPUNGED]

In the name of the Adversary I Seal the Gates. [MEME EXPUNGED] return to your thrones.

[MEME EXPUNGED]

Personal Log of: Dr. █████
Date: [DATA ABSENT] 2009
Notes: Again, written in blood. Positively identified as Dr. █████'s.

What have I done? My memory is shaky — not surprising considering what I’ve been doing to my mind for the past few days. The containment must have been successful, as I find myself sealed in with 370 and this book. Good.

The effects of the ritual are beginning to wear off. Feeling extremely woozy, consciousness fading. What have I done? Ultimate selfishness or ultimate sacrifice? Or just ultimate pettiness and spite?

I must apologize to Richar

[END OF LOG]

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License