Welcome to the Guide Hub! If you're looking for answers or advice, you should be able to find either of them below. If you have an idea for a Guide that you'd like to see added to this page, contact a member of Senior Staff and show them a draft.
READ ME FIRST
- Site Rules: You will be expected to know and understand the rules of the wiki. Being ignorant of a rule does not excuse you if you break it. Read these before reading anything else.
- Guide for Newbies: A guide that covers site applications, general site behavior, tips for being a good member, tips on writing, and a list of senior staff. Required reading for all site members.
- Meet The Staff: The list of senior staff members who are currently active on the site, in case you need to contact someone.
- Chat Guide: The guide to the Foundation's IRC chatrooms. Covers registering, connecting, bannable offenses, chat OPs, discussion suggestions, and secondary chatrooms.
- Criticism Policy: Covers the SCP Wiki's policy on giving and receiving critique.
- FAQ: Frequently asked questions. Covers information about the SCP universe, how the site works, and appropriate behavior.
- Licensing Guide: Useful information to know; certainly important for more prolific members. This is a necessary and useful guide for those wishing to make derivatives—be they games, posters, and merchandise—based of the SCP Foundation. It explains the uses and necessities of Creative Commons as it applies to this site.
- Usertools: A comprehensive list of several tools for users to alter and hopefully improve your site experience. From aesthetic improvements to utility functions, these tools are worth looking through.
Guides to Writing
- How to Contribute: A general guide to the kinds of fiction on the SCP Wiki and how to contribute to them.
- How to Write an SCP: Exactly what it says on the tin. Covers thought development, containment, tone & censorship, humanoids, formatting, and templates. Read this before writing an article.
- Image Use Policy: Take a look here if you're planning on using images in your SCPs or tales.
- Tag Guide: The tag guide is the layman's guide to tags. If you're interested in the subject, be sure to view the staff guide too.
- Deletions Guide: An explanation of policy that covers everything you need to know about how, when, and the processes by which pages are deleted from the site. Read this before posting an article.
- Technical Words: Various science-y and engineering-y words and what they mean. Useful for making your writing sound more scientific and professional.
- Rewrite Guide: A guide detailing the standard procedure for rewriting struggling articles.
- Expert Witnesses: Which users to go to for certain information, and what their credentials are. If you're writing an article that could benefit from specialty knowledge, consider going here.
Assorted Helpful Information and Essays
Writing the Foundation Universe
- About the SCP Foundation: An in-universe explanation of what the SCP Foundation is at the most basic level.
- Zen And The Art Of DATA EXPUNGED: A very useful guide to redaction, expungement, and censorship.
- Doing the Safety Dance: A guide to making reasonable, interesting containment procedures.
- The Foundation and Evil: The Foundation is not cruel, but cold.
- Understanding Memetics: An essay explaining what the hell memetics are in the context of the SCP Foundation Universe.
- So You Want To Write A Humanoid SCP Object: An essay that aims to give advice on the approach one should take when writing a humanoid SCP object.
- Let’s Talk About Character For A Minute: An essay explaining the key issues with supernatural Agents and Doctors in the SCP universe, a brief discussion of wish fulfillment characters overall, and how to avoid common pitfalls in your own writing.
- Photoshopping Your SCP: An essay/tutorial for easily creating illustrations for your articles with Photoshop.
Developing Your Style
- Rules of Thumb: A collection of rules of thumb, compiled and collected from experienced members of the site.
- Conservation of WTF or, ‘Why does the rabbit need two brains?’: An essay outlining the mindset one should take when approaching anomalies while writing. How weird is too weird?
- How to be Scary Without Saying Anything: Exactly what it says on the tin. Elision and the Five Deadly Phrases.
- Essays on Style: a great compilation of insights from various authors into their writing process, tips and tricks. Well worth the read.
Knowing Your Stuff SCIENCE!
- Classified and You: A brief rundown of what classified means, and how access to classified material works.
- Technical Writing: Writing about technical matters for the non-technical. Most of us are authors, not scientists. This might be useful if you want to get that technical twist in your writing that you're having problems with.
- Random But Useful: A brief page of random but useful odds and ends.
- Clinical Tone: Declassified: tips for getting that ever-elusive clinical tone in your articles.
Being Part of the Community
- Guide to the Shit You Likely Missed: Exactly what it says on the tin. A brief list of points that many newbies tend to overlook.
- Extra-Community SCP Sites Guide: A guide to making an extra-community SCP community, and being recognized by the main Foundation site.
- How to create a branch of the SCP-Foundation: Instructions on how to create a translation branch of the SCP Foundation.
- Hornby’s Audio Guide: A rather thorough guide on how to construct an audio drama.
Critiquing Others' Work
Aelanna’s Words to the Wise
Aelanna has been kind enough to write a series of essays on various aspects of writing and critique.
- Common SCP Pitfalls: An outline on common recurring problems seen in bad SCP articles.
- Documentation Tips: Helpful tips on how to approach writing a story in a clinical SCP style and what to consider when planning your article out.
- Containment Protocols: Guidelines for how to write up plausible and concise containment procedures.
- Glossary of Terms: A thorough glossary of wiki jargon you will encounter here.
Roget’s History of the SCP Universe
Roget has taken it upon himself to write essays detailing the history of the SCP wiki.
- History of the Universe Part One
- History of the Universe Part Two
- History of the Universe Part Three
- History of the Universe Part Four
- History of the Universe Part Five
- A Brief History of the Russian Branch
- A Brief History of the Korean Branch
- A Brief History Of Foundation RP
- Supplementary Material for Roget’s History Series.