Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Is SCP real?

No. We are a creative writing website. The Foundation, its anomalies, and everything else that's been written about is fictional.

Furthermore, we are not a roleplaying site, and users are asked to not act in-character while conversing with other users.

Can the memetic hazards hurt me? Will I die if I scroll down and read SCP-001? Can I click on SCP-2000?

The "memetic hazards" are just random pictures. The security warnings are just to tell the reader how much the Foundation thinks these things are important and scary.
Likewise, you'll be perfectly fine reading SCP-001 or SCP-2000. This is true for all SCPs like this - you're supposed to read everything.

These are works of fiction — they can't hurt you.

How can I join the SCP Wiki?

You'd first need to create a Wikidot account, our current hosting platform, then apply for it to be a member of the SCP Wiki. For more information, go to our Joining the Site page, or to the Guide for Newcomers page under the For New Users collapsible on the sidebar.

Do you all write this stuff, or did someone else?

We wrote all this stuff. We are a community of writers - Check out the Author Pages for a semi-comprehensive list of contributors who have made all this possible.

How long has this site been around?

Basically, the original SCP (SCP-173) was written back in 2007, the first incarnation of this wiki (on editthis.info) was made in early 2008, and we moved to Wikidot in the middle of that year.

Read this forum post and the site history essay for more.

Do you have any social media, chat platforms or other methods of contact?

We have a variety of social media accounts, including a Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Instagram, and TikTok. We also have an IRC Chat and an Official Discord.

If you have any questions about a social media account or want to get in touch with SCP Staff outside of Wikidot/IRC, please email scp.internet.outreach@gmail.com.


Can I draw or make artwork about an SCP? Can I show you?

Absolutely! Post away in our Fan Work forum and be sure to check out our official guide about How to Post Your Art to the SCP Wiki to learn about how to make an art page!

I have a question about Containment Breach/Secret Lab/Blackout/some other video game.

We are not the official site for any of the SCP video games, and cannot take feedback or bug reports on them.

I have a question about a content creator's SCP work.

We are not officially affiliated with any non-wiki SCP content creators. Their content can be found on their own channels.

I want to create a project based on the SCP Foundation. Can I do that?

Yes! See our Licensing Guide for more information. The short version:

  • SCP is licensed under the Creative Commons Share-Alike 3.0 License — meaning anyone else can copy and profit off of anything you make if they wish, as long as there is proper attribution.
  • Yes, you can make money off of anything — except the former image of SCP-173, Izumi Kato's Untitled 2004. But you must follow the license.
  • You must credit us and link our site.
  • No, we can't take off the Creative Commons license. Not "won't" — "can't".
  • Yes, we will help you sort out licensing confusion if you ask. See the Licensing hub for more details.

Any additional licensing questions can be forwarded to SCPLicensing@gmail.com.


Can I change someone else's article?

Only for spelling, punctuations and grammar corrections (commonly abbreviated as SPaG). Otherwise, please leave a comment in the article's discussion thread requesting a change. You can also send a message to the author, or to the Rewrite Team. Consult Site Rules for more info.

What is vandalism?

We define any unauthorized edits to pre-existing content on the site as vandalism. You are free to edit your own works as you see fit, but editing the work of other users without permission is against the rules. You are already authorized to make minor grammar edits (fixing unintentional typos, spelling errors, etc), but nothing more.

You may request any additional edits to be made to existing work by asking the original author, the current curator of that work, or a member of the Rewrite Team. If you don’t get permission, don’t make the edit. If you don’t know if your edit requires permission, you may ask in our IRC chat.

More questions? Feel free to join #site17 or the Discord and ask staff anything.


See also:

  • Glossary of Terms - Definitions of specific terminology used on the SCP Wiki.
  • Guide Hub - A central location of all the guides onsite.
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License