Carroll #280/R-01221
rating: +83+x

CARROLL #280: BARRELS O'HOOCH


Carroll 280:

Barrels o' hooch

barrels.jpg

About the average we get from a single use. Not a bad haul.


Where We Get Them

The Barrels are provided by our friends and business partners at the Factory, in exchange for both a small monthly payment and our promise that we help put down any strikes that occur there. Such strikes are rare— the last one occurred in 1928, almost five years ago as of writing —so I'm pretty sure the boss has another agreement we're not privy to. I figure its best to keep your nose clean than lose it.

These barrels are good for one use only, and mass transportation just isn't an option because of that damn amendment. Because of that accident with O'Hara some time ago, the boss is making sure we keep a low profile and constantly mixing up who goes over for drop-offs and deliveries. You'll know if you were picked for the job if you can see one of the boss' magic Carroll letters attached to this.

If you get picked, try not to complain too much about it. No one wants to go to the Factory, but no one says no to Richard Chappell either.

Who Knows about them

Common knowledge among most of the higher-ups. People who run into the Barrels think that they're either being used for easy disposal, or for storing hooch. They're both right, in a way.

If any of our patrons ask where we're getting our stuff, you tell 'em it's a trade secret. It should go without saying, but calling it what it is isn't exactly good for business.


How To Use Them

These things have two big uses for us.

For the Trigger Men:

Each Barrel is large enough to take in exactly one human body, no more, no less. Trying to put in two or more just makes the barrel spit out the last one put in. Then, you seal the Barrel, and try to ignore the screams— even if they're dead, they scream. You don't get to ask why.

After a few hours, when the screaming dies down, the body will be gone without a trace but the barrel will stay heavy. Don't open it. More importantly, don't let the Spooks catch you wheeling this around. Just get it to one of our Fronts as quickly and quietly as possible.

Note: Apparently the Factory wants them kicking when they go into the barrels. They were real serious about this, too. They even sent us this lovely little note.

FROM:

FACTORY
EXTERNAL MESSAGE

MASTER FOREMAN 12-21 KOWALEWICZ
MESSAGE ID:
I-49274
IMPORTANCE:
Medium
BODY:

Esteemed colleagues,
For the best-desired effects, we recommend introducing bodies into
barrels while they still live. It facilitates our processes
significantly. Your cooperation is appreciated.

For the Suppliers:

Expect visits from the Trigger Men at any minute of the day and night. Make sure whatever front you're running is cleaner than your priest on a Sunday, and always have room for more barrels.

Once you get one, pop it open and find out what it is, then label it appropriately.

Everyone makes different liquor, and we can't figure out any real pattern. We thought that all Mexicans made tequila until one of them turned into whiskey. We've had a couple of Irish thugs get turned into wine, and at least one Polak became champagne. Either way, the hooch is drinkable, and nobody's gotten sick from it. Not yet, anyway.

After the barrel runs dry, make sure you tell one of the bosses and they'll get it taken care of. Do not under any circumstances hand over the actual barrel to anyone. Pour the stuff into another one, but do not get rid of the barrel.

Note: Occasionally, you'll get a bad stock. I'm talking gin that smells like rancid vinegar, vodka that has slime on its surface, or rum that, and I quote, tasted like "Wanting to shoot yourself but all the guns in the world have vanished". These things all happened following the December skirmish with the Outfit.

If this does happen, don't dump them. The hooch that comes out of the failure cases burns quick, burns hot, and can be used to get rid of other problems.

From the Desk of Richard Chappell

If you are reading this, congratulations. You've been picked to take a drive up to the Factory and pick up our newest supply. At this point, you have probably heard the stories of what others have seen in there, and I would like to address that.

Yes, they are worked like dogs. Because that is what they are. Dogs. The same kind of dogs we get rid of. They're no different.

This being said, don't look at the workers too long. You might just find a familiar face staring right back at you.




Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License